Teens—Intern With Revolution Hunger’s Outreach Team!
Hunger Fighters in San Francisco, Washington D.C. and Minneapolis/St. Paul—it’s time to join Revolution Hunger. We have openings for teen interns in each of those three cities. Read below for more information, and get in touch if you want to join the Revolution Hunger Outreach Team!
Read on to see the full description. We can’t wait to see your application!
Internship Description: Revolution Hunger Outreach Team, Revolution Hunger Campaign
Position Start: Rolling Basis
Locations: Minneapolis/St.Paul, Washington DC, San Francisco/Bay Area
Status: Quarter-Time Paid Internship
Position ends on May 30th, 2012
Who We Are
Revolution Hunger is a campaign that harnesses the power of teens to make a lifelong commitment to take on the problems of hunger and malnutrition around the world. We know that we can each help fight hunger, in our own unique way. Our goal is to drive teens to RevolutionHunger.org to learn how they can “Live it, Face It and Fight It” in order to become a Hunger Fighter! Revolution Hunger was developed by The Mathile Institute for the Advancement of Human Nutrition® in order to inspire the next generation to fight hunger and malnutrition around the world. For more information, please visit revolutionhunger.org.
We are currently looking to hire a team of 2-3 youth per city to become our street teams in three of our pilot cities.
About the Position
Revolution Hunger is looking for a passionate, web-savvy, and outgoing Teen Outreach members between the ages of 13-18 to join the Revolution Hunger Outreach Team. This individual will want to gain more skills in social media marketing, community outreach, organizing, and leadership skills. The ideal candidate is also passionate about working with peers to build a movement to fight hunger both locally and globally. We want a smart, fun-loving teens who can bring the movement to life through raising awareness of the campaign and building an online network of supporters. This is a great opportunity to develop leadership skills and gain experience in a fun internship where you are an important part of our team.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis in all three cities until the positions (2-3) are filled.
● Must be able to commit to 20 hrs/month for the duration of the project.
● Bring forth ideas on how to access a diverse base of teen leaders, service-oriented individuals, community organizations and high schools students online
● Helping to build a teen community and promoting the Revolution Hunger initiative, which includes:
○ Attending at least 2-3 fun teen events wearing your Rev Hunger T-Shirt and talking about the program
○ Speaking at your school about Revolution Hunger with your Regional Coordinator or
giving 2-3 presentations to high schools in your area
○ Work with your Regional Coordinator to develop a potential Revolution Hunger club at
○ Taking photos or video of your outreach activities with your team!
○ Flyering and postering about RH in highly trafficked teen areas
○ Using facebook, twitter and tumblr to distribute interesting information about hunger to your peers
● Participate in twice a month team meetings and/or phone calls
Qualifications & Requirements
● Between the ages of 13-18 years old
● Interest and passion in solving hunger issues and promoting youth activism
● Outgoing, social, and a positive attitude toward life- you are a social organizer!
● Good written and verbal communication, don’t forget a sense of humor
● Accountability to yourself and your team
● Photography and video production skills a plus
● A love for social networking and building online communities
● Regular access to the Internet, computer, and a phone
● A monthly stipend of $100 and a small travel budget
● One expenses paid conference opportunity in your city to promote Revolution Hunger!
● Revolution Hunger gear, and support from your local Regional Coordinator and the National Team
● A written letter of recommendation for future school or employment opportunities pending participation
How to Apply
Email your resume and answer the following question in a short cover letter that gives us a sense of who you are (~ 250 words) that answers the below questions. Send to lauren AT revolutionhunger.org Whatever you do, remember to let your playful digital creativity shine! Written or Video submissions are acceptable. Get creative.
4. Contact Information
5. What connections, groups or organizations are you a part of?
6. Why do you care about this issue of hunger? How are teens important to fighting it?
7. What makes you the next best Revolution Hunger Outreach Team Member?
Record Number of Minnesotans Seek Food Help
I recently read about the landscape of the hunger scene in Minnesota. In 2011 we reached a record number of Minnesotans needing assistance, to feed themselves and their families. In fact, more than the population of Duluth and Minneapolis combined are on food stamps. Though this fact is unsettling, the amount of people who began using food shelves this is year was dramatically lower than in previous years. Down to 9.8 percent from 21.8%. These numbers show a step in the right direction, but also show a continuation of the recent rend.
Many families in Minnesota are having a hard time regaining economic standing since the recession. This problem is the source for many families struggle against hunger. I believe that the many problems such as; the unemployment issue, need to be addressed before these numbers can begin to decline. Even as I look around at my peers I see it has become increasingly common to have an unemployed parent, or a need for some form of government assistance.
In the articles I checked out, many volunteers and food service coordinators were worried that the Status quo, being the increased need for food help, may become the norm. But I know that we all can do something to change this situation! At Revolution Hunger, we are striving to find a way to integrate the hunger fight into the daily lives of everyone. We want to inspire a lasting change, one that each of us can contribute to in our own unique way!
Alexcia Jellum is the Twin Cities New Media Producer for the Revolution Hunger Campaign. Alexcia is a senior at Central High School. She wants to Major in communications and minor in film, an is a firm believer that creativity can have a profound impact.
Intrigued, Inspired and Involved
By Alexcia Jellum
The world’s population is constantly being bombarded with all types of adversity. Nourishment is a fundamental need of humanity, and something that we are all familiar with. Hunger affects the entire world, from tiny, tucked away towns to large cities. There are countless organizations and individuals that have made hunger their personal mission. The issue of hunger is one with many layers and intricacies. Our movement, Revolution Hunger, is giving teens the chance to further diversify the hunger fighting front.
What first struck me about Revolution Hunger’s message was that it recognized that everyone could make a difference. We each have specific talents and passions that we can use to fight hunger. Why not infuse what you’re passionate about with a message? I believe that if you can give the teen population unique ways to get involved they will take that opportunity an run with it. I am excited to get teens Intrigued, Inspired and Involved.
I think of the hunger relief programs in the Twin Cities as a web of food shelves, dedicated individuals, and volunteers. These powerful forces help thousands in my area. The world is plagued with pockets of extreme hunger and each one of us do something to help. I know many creative teens that are eager to find a productive channel for their work. My goal is to get teens in a position to use their talents to fight for this cause. Join me at Revolution Hunger!