Hunger Fighter Interview: Megan Emme
New Media Producer Jessie Chen interviewed Revolution Hunger’s own Megan Emme about here incredible work fighting hunger. Check it out—this is what RevHunger is all about!
Twelve-year-old Lauretta was forced to drop out of school to watch her younger brother while her mother forages for food to feed the family. Lauretta wants to become a school teacher. “I miss school very much,” she said. “I want to go and learn so I can help my mom in the future more.”
Read more about how the escalating food crisis in Niger is impacting children like Lauretta.
Really thought-provoking! How can we solve problems like this one, Hunger Fighters?
Wake Up! and join the hunger fight! At the World Savvy event in St. Paul, Minnesota, I met a variety of engaged young people. I decided to film a few of their insightful thoughts. Not everyone knows the urgency and the proximity of the hunger issue, and these young people wanted to bring it closer to home. Their powerful words are asking you to Wake Up, use your individuality to help!
Teens—Intern With Revolution Hunger’s Outreach Team!
Hunger Fighters in San Francisco, Washington D.C. and Minneapolis/St. Paul—it’s time to join Revolution Hunger. We have openings for teen interns in each of those three cities. Read below for more information, and get in touch if you want to join the Revolution Hunger Outreach Team!
Read on to see the full description. We can’t wait to see your application!
Internship Description: Revolution Hunger Outreach Team, Revolution Hunger Campaign
Position Start: Rolling Basis
Locations: Minneapolis/St.Paul, Washington DC, San Francisco/Bay Area
Status: Quarter-Time Paid Internship
Position ends on May 30th, 2012
Who We Are
Revolution Hunger is a campaign that harnesses the power of teens to make a lifelong commitment to take on the problems of hunger and malnutrition around the world. We know that we can each help fight hunger, in our own unique way. Our goal is to drive teens to RevolutionHunger.org to learn how they can “Live it, Face It and Fight It” in order to become a Hunger Fighter! Revolution Hunger was developed by The Mathile Institute for the Advancement of Human Nutrition® in order to inspire the next generation to fight hunger and malnutrition around the world. For more information, please visit revolutionhunger.org.
We are currently looking to hire a team of 2-3 youth per city to become our street teams in three of our pilot cities.
About the Position
Revolution Hunger is looking for a passionate, web-savvy, and outgoing Teen Outreach members between the ages of 13-18 to join the Revolution Hunger Outreach Team. This individual will want to gain more skills in social media marketing, community outreach, organizing, and leadership skills. The ideal candidate is also passionate about working with peers to build a movement to fight hunger both locally and globally. We want a smart, fun-loving teens who can bring the movement to life through raising awareness of the campaign and building an online network of supporters. This is a great opportunity to develop leadership skills and gain experience in a fun internship where you are an important part of our team.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis in all three cities until the positions (2-3) are filled.
● Must be able to commit to 20 hrs/month for the duration of the project.
● Bring forth ideas on how to access a diverse base of teen leaders, service-oriented individuals, community organizations and high schools students online
● Helping to build a teen community and promoting the Revolution Hunger initiative, which includes:
○ Attending at least 2-3 fun teen events wearing your Rev Hunger T-Shirt and talking about the program
○ Speaking at your school about Revolution Hunger with your Regional Coordinator or
giving 2-3 presentations to high schools in your area
○ Work with your Regional Coordinator to develop a potential Revolution Hunger club at
○ Taking photos or video of your outreach activities with your team!
○ Flyering and postering about RH in highly trafficked teen areas
○ Using facebook, twitter and tumblr to distribute interesting information about hunger to your peers
● Participate in twice a month team meetings and/or phone calls
Qualifications & Requirements
● Between the ages of 13-18 years old
● Interest and passion in solving hunger issues and promoting youth activism
● Outgoing, social, and a positive attitude toward life- you are a social organizer!
● Good written and verbal communication, don’t forget a sense of humor
● Accountability to yourself and your team
● Photography and video production skills a plus
● A love for social networking and building online communities
● Regular access to the Internet, computer, and a phone
● A monthly stipend of $100 and a small travel budget
● One expenses paid conference opportunity in your city to promote Revolution Hunger!
● Revolution Hunger gear, and support from your local Regional Coordinator and the National Team
● A written letter of recommendation for future school or employment opportunities pending participation
How to Apply
Email your resume and answer the following question in a short cover letter that gives us a sense of who you are (~ 250 words) that answers the below questions. Send to lauren AT revolutionhunger.org Whatever you do, remember to let your playful digital creativity shine! Written or Video submissions are acceptable. Get creative.
4. Contact Information
5. What connections, groups or organizations are you a part of?
6. Why do you care about this issue of hunger? How are teens important to fighting it?
7. What makes you the next best Revolution Hunger Outreach Team Member?